Re: Default route doesn't change to wireless device (ath0)

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_one-eyed-alien.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 15:36:33 -0700
On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 02:43:57PM -0700, Jon Dama wrote:
> If the start_if.ath0 script isn't running, you should check that you have
> removable_interfaces="ath0" in rc.conf.  Though, I saw some traffic that
> say this was going away.

Yup, it's dying.

> Anyway, quoting Brooks in "HEADSUP: OpenBSD dhclient incoming"
> "Second the pccard_ifconfig variable is only used as a default value for
> interfaces that are on the removable_interfaces list, but do not have an
> ifconfig_<if> variable. Third, interfaces must be on the
> removable_interfaces list for pccard_ether to work."

This is now wrong.  I've nuked the pccard_ifconfig and added an
ifconfig_DEFAULT variable which applies to all interfaces that don't
have ifconfig_<ifn> variables (actually, it applies to those with empty
ones as well at this point which is probably a bug.)

> There should not be a need to modify devd.conf as there is already this
> line:
>
> attach 0 {
>         device-name "$ethernet-nic-regex";
>         action "/etc/pccard_ether $device-name start";
> }
>
> The regex does cover ath0, and pccard_ether should handle the event if the
> interface is listed in removable_interfaces

We've actually done away with the regex in HEAD and are using interface
types so anything should work now.

> I also saw some traffic from Brooks where he explicitly stated that
> the new dhclient does not touch the default route if one is already
> configured.  afaik, this should not actually be a problem because start_if
> is always run before dhclient has a change to start.  Also I agree, it
> would rather dangerous if dhclient just started flushing the routing
> table.

If you want to forcably set the default route via dhclient, you can do
it via /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks which is executed when dhclient-script
exits or you could write code to unset the current default route if the
interface is down and put it in /etc/dhclient-enter-hooks.

> Incidentially, I've seen this topic come up a dozen times + never knew
> what do myself until Nate Lawson pointed me in the right direction a year
> ago.  At that time, he remarked that this stuff isn't documented any where
> + it really should be in the handbook.
>
> Can someone point me to where I should look for information on how to
> contribute to the handbook in a format that is likely to be accepted?
>
> This is such a standard thing to want, it has to be done!

You're probably looking for the doc project primer.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/index.html

We're hoping to make route handling a bit more flexable in dhclient, but
I haven't had time to work on it yet.

-- Brooks