Re: Odd performance problem (hitching)

From: Bill Paul <wpaul_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 18:58:08 +0000 (GMT)

> > > Possibly, but I would expect to see some evidence in top of this.
> > >
> > > Also, during the 'lag' X drops or doubles up keypresses - it would suprise me
> > > to find that a userland app could make X do that very easily.
> > >
> > > I will try your suggestion though.
> >
> > I had a similar problem with XFCE4's battery/temp monitor applet.  I
> > think my freeze was about every 6-10seconds.
>
> I've also had a problem with gnome's battery monitor producing long
> "hitches" every several seconds.

*sigh*

The problem is the ACPI thermal monitor thread. Once every 10 seconds,
it queries the thermal state of the system, and reading this state
seems to chew up a lot of cycles with interrupts blocked.

You can shut it up by editing loader.conf and adding:

debug.acpi.disable="thermal"

But the correct thing to do is fix the code that access ACPI
resources/registers/whatever so that it doesn't block for so
long. I'm really very annoyed that nobody has bothered to
address this yet.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (510) 749-2329 | Senior Engineer, Master of Unix-Fu
                 wpaul_at_windriver.com | Wind River Systems
              <adamw> you're just BEGGING to face the moose