Re: Default route doesn't change to wireless device (ath0)

From: Lars Erik Gullerud <lerik_at_nolink.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 22:09:50 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, Brooks Davis wrote:

> I think I see what's going on.  Your arp cache is posioning your routing
> table.  Try doing an "arp -a -d" after flushing the routes and before
> inserting the nic.  It looks like we should add support to the arp(8)
> command so -i can be used with -d and consider flushing cache entries
> realted to an interface when it goes down.

Uhm, so are you saying ARP cache entries for a given interface is NOT
flushed today when an interface goes down? If that is the case, then it
should definitely be more than "considered". If an interface goes down
then up the old ARP cache entries should _never_ "reappear" - how do you
even know you are still on the same physical network you were before you
brought the interface down?

Bringing an interface down then back up is usually one of the "try this
first" operations when troubleshooting all platforms I normally work on,
exactly because it _does_ (normally) clear a lot of state info that you
don't want around to confuse you (like the ARP cache and routing table
entries).

/leg