Re: Problem with deleting files

From: Gregory Nou <gregorynou_at_altern.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:38:55 +0200
othermark wrote:

>Gregory Nou wrote:
>

>>I'm currently experiencing a weird problem : some of my folders are
>>completely empty (ls -a doesn't even mention . or ..)
>>But, I cannot remove them, and a ls is very very slow (but just in those
>>folders, and it is quite rare, but now I cannot update firefox, nor
>>openoffice, because make clean will fail).
>>

>Yeah, I've seen this.  For me, this is the direct result of the ServerWorks
>chipset on the box not properly doing DMA, and in fact causes corruption on
>the bus when DMA is enabled for the IDE controller.   Usually you see this
>when doing large extracts or deletes (like the openoffice of
>mozilla/firefox ports).  You need to fsck, hopefully before you even read
>this (you'll see lots of softupdate problems being fixed).
>
>You'll also notice that your daily automatic reports sent to root will
>mention problems with traversing files or directories.
>
>For reference this bad boy:
>
>atapci0: <ServerWorks ROSB4 UDMA33 controller> port
>0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6,0x170-0x177,0x376,0xfc90-0xfc9f at device 15.1 on pci0
>
>atapci0_at_pci0:15:1:      class=0x01018a card=0x00000000 chip=0x02111166
>rev=0x00
>hdr=0x00
>    vendor   = 'ServerWorks (Was: Reliance Computer Corp)'
>    device   = 'OSB4 PCI EIDE Controller'
>    class    = mass storage
>    subclass = ATA
>
>The only solution is to run with dma off (see atacontrol, or shut it off in
>BIOS).

Thanks for the answer.
However, I did not have the chance to test it, because I had the very
bad idea to reboot.
I tried to fsck and had lots of :
ad2: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51 <READY, DSC, ERROR> error=40
<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=xxxxxxx

So the system was marked as dirty, and I could not boot.
I just could backup datas and reinstall all.
making a newfs on the damaged slice made the errors disppear.
I suppose it's normal.
But I cannot understand why fsck was unable to correct it, because it
asked me if I wanted to correct, but told me then that it could not
write on this sector.
That's weird .

--
Gregory