Re: cvsup stuff in BETA4

From: David O'Brien <obrien_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 17:16:59 -0700
On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 07:43:44PM +0200, Philip S. Schulz wrote:
> on 10.09.2005 19:15 Uhr Emanuel Strobl said the following:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I just installed BETA4 on my laptop and saw that the stable-supfile still
> >has RELENG_5 as default tag. Shouldn't this be changed to RELENG_6?
> >Another question: Why are these example files in the base system while
> >cvsup itself isn't? I think they should be located
> >in /usr/local/share/examples, or /usr/local/etc together with the port...
>
> Because you would still need to build ezm3 to build cvsup. And, AFAIK,
> there are platforms where cvsup is not fully supported, amd64 comes to
> mind...

No.  It is that way purely by tradition.  We feel that it is easiest to
keep the cvsup example files in the base system so that we can make it
easier for the user to have the right RELENG_X tag, etc...

CVSup isn't in /usr/src because it is written in Modula-3 and we don't
want to bring a Modula-3 compiler into the base system.  It has nothing
to do with architectures.

--
-- David  (obrien_at_FreeBSD.org)