ELF Versioning

From: Devon H. O'Dell <devon.odell_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 13:17:30 -0700
Hey all,

I was told that somebody was working on ELF versioning in FreeBSD, but
the person who told me couldn't remember who and didn't know the
status of the project. I was wondering if anybody here did know.

Part of porting DTrace to FreeBSD requires porting Solaris' libelf,
which provides an API for working on 32- and 64-bit ELF files (called
GElf). This is because Solaris has a feature called CTF (Compact
ANSI-C Type Format) which puts information about types used in the
application into an ELF header. This information is compressed with
zlib. It does this by taking the debugging information out of a file
compiled with debugging symbols, compressing them, and then putting
them into an ELF header.

At the moment, I've just made this use Solaris' ELF header files to
get all the structures I need (getting it compiling is the first
milestone; then I can see what will and won't work in relation to what
is there). I'm not sure how much of this is actually needed to get CTF
working yet.

So if anybody can give me more information about the status of this
work, who was / is doing it, and any caveats involved in any current
implementation, that'd be great.

Thanks,

Devon