HEADS UP: Lots of minor fifo tweaks

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:30:41 +0100 (BST)
Yeah, the topic says "minor", but the key is "lots".  I believe I have
fixed a moderate number of minor bugs in the POSIX fifo code (fifofs).
This was a result of writing a set of regression tests before trying to
fix a serious race condition in fifofs, as I was afraid I would break
fifofs subtly in the process.  The result was finding lots of bugs
instead, which are now believed to be fixed, and the regression test suite
runs to completion without errors.  However, this doesn't mean I haven't
broken something, as the semantics of fifos are (at best) tricky.  If you
use applications that use fifos, please test them on a recent kernel from
the CVS HEAD.  I plan to merge many if not all of these changes to
RELENG_6 in the immediate future, and RELENG_5 a bit after that.  I'd much
rather hear about bugs sooner rather than later.

Thanks,

Robert N M Watson