Re: Recent 6-beta issue: high delay when loading kernel on thinkpad on battery]

From: Jon Door <jondoor_at_udor.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:10:13 -0400
Martin Cracauer wrote:

>Jonathan Noack wrote on Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 02:49:40PM -0500:
>

>>On 08/30/05 12:06, Martin Cracauer wrote:
>>

>>>I cannot nail down when exactly this issue was introduced but I think
>>>it was recently.  I remember to boot this laptop fine when on battery
>>>during summer.
>>>
>>>Recent 6-betas make my thinkpad R40 wait for 80 seconds when loading
>>>the kernel (after announcing kernel version but before probing
>>>devices), when it is on battery power.  On A/C the delay is normal.
>>>
>>>This is a boot -v screenshot photo of the stage where it is hanging:
>>>http://wavehh.dyndns.org/tmp/thinkpad-6beta-delay.jpg
>>>
>>>As you can see, -v doesn't give a clue what it is doing.  It is
>>>hanging there doing nothing before reloading the kernel modules.
>>>
>>>dmesg, acpi stats, kernel config etc is all on:
>>>http://www.cons.org/cracauer/machines/grisu/
>>>
>>>I just updated these files to be from a -v boot when on A/C.
>>>
>>>Any idea what this can be caused by? Any additional tests or info I
>>>can provide?
>>>

>>I have seen similar boot delays on a Compaq DL360 (G1?) server I have.
>>Also, I have a dual P3 machine that no longer reboots after a "shutdown
>>-r now"; it just hangs after printing "Shutting down ACPI".  I think
>>there may be some edge cases with ACPI but have no direct evidence.
>>Here's my message:
>>http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?430960DD.6040608
>>

>This is still the case with 6-beta of Monday.
>
>Unless somebody has a better idea I will allocate some time to do a
>binary search of kernel version dates to track down which change
>caused this.  (I don't see any possible way to debug this, no tools
>available).
>
>I rate my Thinkpad as severely hampered with this problem.  Waiting 80
>seconds for nothing while Linuxers are watching over my shoulder is
>more than I can take :-)
>
>Anybody else observing this?
>
>Martin

Thinkpad T41, buildworld on sept. 12th. I don't seem to be getting any
untoward delay when booting from battery, maybe a few extra seconds at
the same spot you are seeing the hang, but that's hard to say as I
didn't actually time it. Definitely nothing like the 80 you are getting.
I am running a customized kernel, debugging removed, a handful of things
added.

I have noticed the same problem with "shutdown -r now" on both a
Supermicro Motherboard Xeon server, and a Soekris Net4801, just
yesterday. With those same systems I have been seeing some
intermittently long boot delays. Both cases always when I wasn't
connected to the serial console so I haven't actually been able to get a
look at what the system was doing.

Jon