Re: FreeBSD6.0 BETA5

From: Søren Schmidt <sos_at_DeepCore.dk>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:43:13 +0200
Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> Hi, for the first time  FreeBSD 6.0 recognizes my SATA drives, yippie!
> Yesterday's 6.0BETA4 would not initialize ad4 and ad6 would freeze up under
> moderate  writes so whatever changed between BETA4 and BETA5 has been a real
> improvement.

There has been no real ATA changes between 4 and 5..

> Under FreeBSD5.4 both drives always initialize just fine,  but even after this
> new BETA5 I stille have to boot the machine multiple times before both drives
> initialize, usually just one or the other will.  Also dmesg  is still showing
> some sort of error "ata2: FAILURE -  oversized DMA transfer attempt 8704 >
> 7680".

The oversized DMA diag is  because ataraid does not limit its write
size, and that I'm looking into..

> FreeBSD ringworm.mechee.com 6.0-BETA5 FreeBSD 6.0-BETA5 #2: Sun Sep 18
> 14:40:15 PDT 2005
> root_at_ringworm.mechee.com:/usr6/obj/usr6/src/sys/RINGWORM6  i386
>
> Drive ad6 still locks up with moderate writes and freezes the entire system
> under BETA5

You should try -current where I have committed substantial updates to
the timeout code that might help you when the failure happens.
The timeouts and datacorruption on the SiI3112 can only be solved 100%
by throwing it out and substituting it with a real SATA controller...

--

-Søren