Re: device entries outside /proc with procfs (for chroot)

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 21:23:22 +0200
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:36:09 -0400
Martin Cracauer <cracauer_at_cons.org> wrote:

> > I'm wondering why you get problems. Don't create a dev directory at all
> > and the kernel should fall back to the native one.
>
> This is for chrooted environments which don't fall back.

Ok, valid point.

> It seemes that the controlled procfs mounting is the solution.  In my
> case I don't chroot for security reasons, just to get the FreeBSD libs
> and programs out of the way, so I don't even have to secure the second
> mount.

Yes, multiple devfs mounts are the way to go. Or mount linprocfs...

> The documentation for this procedure should probably get into the
> chroot manpage.

It's at least documented in the man page for creating jails... I think.

> What would be your idea of a proper Linux environment? They move
> faster than I can follow :-)

8 is the default. If you don't have something which depends upon a
newer one, use the default.

A lot of people use rh-9 (OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=rh9 in make.conf),
but the port has some flaws and Trevor doesn't react. I think I will
claim a maintainer timeout soon (perhaps at the weekend if I get time)
and fix some things (runtime linker path if you want to use the X11
libs). I don't use it myself, but I haven't heard very bad things about
it.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
              The best things in life are free, but the
                expensive ones are still worth a look.

http://www.Leidinger.net                       Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net