Re: serial ttys broken?

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:25:50 +0100 (BST)
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Bernd Walter wrote:

>> FreeBSD/i386 (buffy.york.ac.uk) (ttyd0)
>>
>> login: CCeeBSD/i386 (buffy.york.ac.uk) (ttyd0)
>>
>> login:
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> And that's with ttyd0, not cuaa0, and a Windows machine at the far end
>> of a 9600 baud link.  A configuration which I'm pretty sure should
>> perform better.  No matter how hard I try, I can't manage to reproduce
>> the corruption once logged in, unless I explicitly run
>> /usr/libexec/getty from the shell, in which case the corruption is even
>> worse:

FWIW, I've been seeing this problem for ages, but have always considered
it entertaining as something of a Stargate fan.  I typically see just one
character corruption in the common case:

CreeBSD/i386 (whatever.whomever) (ttyd0)
login:

However, my theory has been that we have a problem when we reset serial
ports on last close.  I.e., just before getty is respawned and launches
login.

Cree,

Robert N M Watson