Re: using bzip2 to compress man-pages

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 21:20:17 -0700
Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Mikhail Teterin wrote:
>
>> Reducing reliance on GNU software remains an extra bonus...
>
> Certainly, there exists GNU software which makes me cringe, but gzip
> isn't part of that group.  I suppose there's a preference for
> BSD-licensed code rather than GPL'ed code, but I'd expect gzip and zlib
> to be a part of FreeBSD for the foreseeable future...

Useful facts:

   * zlib is not GPLed.  The license is essentially a BSD license.
     <http://www.zlib.net/zlib_license.html>

   * There are both GPL and non-GPL versions of gzip.  The
     non-GPL version is based on zlib; the GPL version uses
     its own separate compression/decompression code.
     I believe OpenBSD uses the non-GPL gzip.

Cheers,

Tim