4BSD/ULE numbers...

From: Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:47:27 +0200
Hello,

I tried ULE with BETA5 and for me it felt a bit sluggish when making ports.
So I did some "realworld" simulation and compared 4BSD/ULE to see what
numbers tell me. And the prooved my feeling right.
It seems that ULE is priorizing nice a little higher, but in general the
output of the 4 BSD machine is higher and finishing the tests took not so
long as with ULE, especially the "make configure" differs horribly.

What I did is to start "flops" with (standard) nice, start bonnie++
simultaniously (without nice) and run "make configure"
in /usr/ports/net/samba3.

I did the same with flops unniced... But same result, 4BSD gives better
benchmarks results in shorter time...

Unfortunately I don't know a good way to format these results in a nice
way, so here's a example of the script I ran and attached the resulting
text files:

#!/bin/csh
cd /usr/ports/net/samba3
make clean
make extract
/usr/bin/time -h -o /tmp/flops.ule.nonice.time flops >
/tmp/flops.ule.nonice.result &
/usr/bin/time -h -o /tmp/bonnie++.ule.nonice.time bonnie++ -d /usr -u 0 -r
256 > /tmp/bonnie++.ule.nonice.result &
/usr/bin/time -h -o /tmp/samba.configure.ule.nonice.time make configure

For anyone who can imagine what goes wrong in ULE, I can't ;)

-Harry