ATA power savings...

From: Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl_at_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 02:07:03 +0200
Hello,

since ataidle from ports doesn't work with ATAmkIII I listened very careful
to another thread on a local mailing list and found a very interesting
hint:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=65621+0+archive/2003/freebsd-fs/20030413.freebsd-fs

It describes that (back then) some disks have a "delayed write" feature.
But much more important, there's a patch included which tells atacontrol
how to spin disks down.
I guess this was for ATAng.

Is there any reason not to include that into ATAmkIII?

Now that we have such a nice cpufreq meta driver in RELENG_6 I'd really
love to see the hungry HD spin down, ideally managed by powerd ;)

But even if the "delayed write" feature is problematic, the ataidle feature
really should make it into ATAmkIII before 6-RELEASE IMHO...

Thanks,

-Harry