Re: ATA power savings...

From: Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl_at_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 03:03:25 +0200
Am Dienstag, 27. September 2005 02:47 CEST schrieb Daniel Eriksson:
> Emanuel Strobl wrote:
> > since ataidle from ports doesn't work with ATAmkIII
>
> Another feature of ataidle is the ability to set the acoustic management
> bits. Typical ATA disks ship with acoustic management turned on, which
> results in lower performance but less noise (5-15% slower seek
> performance seems to be normal with AM turned on).

Oh _YES_! I forgot this since I'm used to "tune" any HD I install with
HGSTs DriveFeatureTool (under DOS) since sometimes these drives work on a
real RAID Controller (like 3ware or ARECA devices) where I can't set any
of these ATA features.
But in general I think anything that `atacontrol cap ad0` shows should be
tunable with `atacontrol ...` in the near future...
Not to forget the possibility to read the drives temperature :)
And some documentation for end users needs to be done, especially for AAC
and APM, I'm myself not really sure about the values...
But I'd volunteer to investigate...

-Harry