Re: user changable brightness? [Was: Re: acpi_sony - no powerd, no man page!]

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:02:02 +0200 (CEST)
Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl_at_gmx.net> wrote:
 > But now I have the problem that a regular user can't change the brightness:
 >
 > akima:~>6: sysctl -w dev.acpi_sony.0.brightness=5
 > dev.acpi_sony.0.brightness: 7
 > sysctl: dev.acpi_sony.0.brightness: Operation not permitted
 >
 > Is there a tunable to allow regular users to write to dev. sysctls or even
 > better, a sysctl MIB security mask to assign "rights" to a specific MIB?

How about using "sudo" or "super" (from ports collection)?
Write a small script, so the user can simply type
"brightness 5" or whatever, and put it under sudo/super
control so it's executed as root.

(Just a suggestion.)

Best regards
   Oliver

"I learned Java 3 years before Python.  It was my language of
choice.  It took me two weekends with Python before I was more
productive with it than with Java." -- Anthony Roberts