Re: hwpmc & sampling

From: Niklas Sorensson <nik_at_cs.chalmers.se>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:11:29 +0200 (CEST)
> Niklas,
>
> ns> time pmcstat -P instructions -O samples.out ./minisat_static
>
> ns> I would expect quite a lot more samples for a program that
> ns> runs for more than 20 seconds. Am I doing something wrong,
>
> Could you check whether the output of "pmccontrol -s", shows the
> 'interrupts dropped due to lack of space' count as non-zero?

This does not seem to be the case.

 nik> pmcstat -P instructions -O samples.out ./minisat_static [..]

 nik> ll samples.out
 -rw-r--r--  1 nik  users  744 28 Sep 15:54 samples.out

 nik> pmcstat -R samples.out | grep sample | wc -l
       20

 nik> pmccontrol -s
 interrupts processed:                    20
 non-PMC interrupts:                      0
 interrupts dropped due to lack of space: 0
 system calls:                            16
 system calls with errors:                0
 buffer requests:                         2
 buffer requests failed:                  0
 sampling log sweeps:                     5

Seems wierd huh? I'd love to get this to work and would'nt mind
investigating the issue if you point me in the right direction.
I attached output of dmesg and my kernel configuration, let me
know if there is any other information that would be helpful.

/Niklas