Re: A smarter mergemaster

From: Brian Candler <B.Candler_at_pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:42:18 +0100
On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 02:45:48AM +0400, Yar Tikhiy wrote:
> The fruitiest features are as follows:

Will it automatically install new versions of files where the old one was
not altered? That's my biggest bugbear with mergemaster - it asks you about
a zillion files in /etc/rc.d which you have to manually agree to overwrite
just because the RCS ID has changed. In those cases where you've not altered
them yourself, I think you should just get the latest version. However to do
this properly, you'd need checksums of the original files. [*]

Also, can we have mergemaster work as part of the binary upgrade process too
please... the new files are in /usr/share/examples/etc so I don't see why we
can't merge directly from there into /etc

Regards,

Brian.

[*] http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-current/2005-May/049784.html
point 4.