Re: identd with FreeBSD 6.0?

From: Brian Candler <B.Candler_at_pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 13:51:26 +0100
On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 06:01:15AM -0400, Kevin Lamothe wrote:
> Yeah I know the inetd one works, but none of the standalone daemons seem
> to work with FreeBSD6, I'm using the latest oidentd on my FreeBSD 5
> server. I used the same config on both of them.
>
> Theres no firewall on the machines its self, and hosts.allow and deny
> are blank.

Is oidentd (a) accepting the connection, and (b) answering at all? Try

    # tcpdump fxp0 -n -s1500 -X tcp port 113

If you see an answer of "ERROR : NO-USER" then oidentd is working to some
extent but unable to locate the uid, or to map the uid to a username. That
would be a step towards finding the problem; ktrace and/or some debugging
fprintf's in oidentd.c should help nail it down then. The uid in question
must exist in the /etc/master.passwd of course.

If you get an incoming S(YN) and a R(ST) in reply, then oident isn't
listening on the right port or IP address.

If you don't see any incoming S(YN), then the remote machine is not making
an ident request, or some upstream firewall is blocking it out.

(FWIW, oidentd works for me too under FreeBSD 5.4; but I don't have a 6 box
to test on right now)

Regards,

Brian.