Re: wpa_supplicant and WEP....

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_one-eyed-alien.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:24:42 -0700
On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 04:28:32PM -0500, Eric Schuele wrote:
> Brooks Davis wrote:

> >>Still no go.  The wep_key0 is the clear text passphrase, correct?  Not
> >>one of the encrypted keys? right?
> >

> >The entry in the example file shows both hex and ascii keys.  No
> >excryption of keys is supported by standard WEP so if your AP is doing
> >something like that you need to get the hex key it's using from it.
>
> If I attempt to use the hex key... it fails to parse the wpa_supplicant
> file!?!  The AP is a linksys something-or-other... and when you type in
> a cleartext passphrase it generates 4 hex keys.  I have tried both the
> passphrase and the hex keys.

You definitly need to use the hex keys.  Turning a password into four
hex keys is absolutly not part of the standard.  How are you entering
your hex keys?  The examples are a bit unclear, but digging around in
the code it looks like unquoted strings are assumed to be hex strings.
They should not be prefixed by 0x.  The manpage needs some help in this
area.

> >Have you been able to connect by hand (not using wpa_supplicant)?  If
> >not, do that first.
>
> Yes... I can connect using the following script

Good.  Hopefully it's just a confusing config file issue.

-- Brooks