Re: Broadcom ServerWorks HT-1000 support in OpenBSD

From: Brian Candler <B.Candler_at_pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 11:45:32 +0100
On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 11:46:51AM +0200, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> Brian Candler wrote:
> >On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 06:07:22PM -0400, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> >
> >>I see. If i could id contribute, but alas I'm unemployed now. Maybe
> >>freebsd should charge for CDs like openbsd does, to fund the cause :P
> >>

> >Like these? http://www.freebsdmall.com/
> >

> I think he wants to suggest that the project should not produce
> ISO-Images anymore.

I see, or sell CDs which you are explicitly forbidden from copying:

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq3.html#ISO
"The official OpenBSD CD-ROM layout is copyright Theo de Raadt. Theo does
not permit people to redistribute images of the official OpenBSD CDs."

I'd say that's not really in the spirit of BSD. If FreeBSD went this way,
I'd start looking elsewhere. So they lose out on users and developers
(OpenBSD probably wouldn't want me as a user anyway :-)

I can see the point though. It's probably easier as a corporate user to
raise a PO for a CD-ROM set to support the project, if the image isn't
available for download.

> [*] http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/ - seems like there's on package
> less I have to worry about....

I guess that means Java needs FreeBSD now more than FreeBSD needs Java :-)

Regards,

Brian.