Re: malloc problems with MySQL?

From: Attila Nagy <bra_at_fsn.hu>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:13:12 +0200
Hello,

On 04/26/06 16:29, Jason Evans wrote:
>> The problem is that with the exact same configuration as with
>> 6-STABLE, MySQL cannot allocate more than about 400-500MB of memory:
>>
>> mysqld: (malloc) Error in malloc(838877200): out of memory
>> mysqld got signal 6;
>>
>> Limits seems to be OK:
>>   datasize          2097152 kB
>> I have kern.maxdsiz=2G in loader.conf.
>>
>> MySQL gets errno 12 (ENOMEM) when trying to allocate that amount of RAM.
>>
>> What else is needed to make it work with the new malloc
>> implementation? I can malloc the same amount of memory from a one
>> liner program...
> Allocations that are larger than the chunk size (2 MB by default) are
> allocated using mmap(2), rather than sbrk(2).  Most likely, your
> problems will go away if you reduce the heap size, so that mmap has more
> address space to work with.
I've increased vm.max_proc_mmap to the max, without any effects. I can
still not create my 1M row heap table in MySQL.

What do you mean under reducing the heap size?

ps: rev. 1.125 of src/lib/libc/stdlib/malloc.c didn't help (if it's
supposed to help to resolve this issue)

Thanks,
--
Attila Nagy                                   e-mail: Attila.Nagy_at_fsn.hu
Free Software Network (FSN.HU)                 phone: +3630 306 6758