Re: [patch] giant-less quotas

From: Kostik Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 10:36:00 +0300
On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 04:52:14PM -0400, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> Kostik Belousov wrote:
> >I have developed patch to make ufs quota code working without
> >Giant, i.e. properly lock dquot and all around.
> >
> >You can find the patch and description of the changes at
> >http://kostikbel.narod.ru. Please, review.
> >

> Is it possible to effectively test this on a UP kernel? I don't have any
> SMP capable machines available.

I think it shall be tested both on UP and SMP machines. So, yes,
UP testing (presumably, with PREEMPTION) is useful.

Please, wait a short time for new patch. Current patch has two issues:

1. recent BO_NEEDSGIANT changes prevent patch from applying. I need
to do a merge.
2. I have fixed deadlock that appears when shapshot is taken
on quota-enabled fs (this deadlock is specific to my patch).
Supposely, this is problem reported by Kris Kennaway.