Re: Where is thr_getscheduler

From: Daniel Eischen <deischen_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 17:02:53 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Steve Kargl wrote:

> I have a system that I have not updated since 16 Jun 06.
> I read /usr/src/UPDATING and note that the 3 newest entries
> do not affect me.  So, I rebuild and update my kernel and
> world.  Upon rebooting, I find that firefox dies with
>
> troutmask:kargl[202] firefox
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libthr.so.2: Undefined symbol "thr_getscheduler"
>
> OK, this is -current, so I rebuild and reinstall firefox.  The
> firefox again gives me
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libthr.so.2: Undefined symbol "thr_getscheduler"
>
> Sure enough, grepping the sources in src/lib/libthr indeed shows
> that thr_getscheduler is used but never defined.
>
> It appears that libthr has been broken since 13 Jul 06.  Is there
> any time line for when libthr will be fixed?  Should an entry
> be added to /usr/src/UPDATING to warn people that libthr is
> broken?

It's not borken.  Your ports are probably just out-of-date and were
built against a previous version of libc (libc.so.6) which doesn't
have thr_getscheduler.  What does `ldd /path/to/firefox_binary`
show?

I don't think rebuilding just firefox is going to fix the problem
since it depends on other libraries that depend on libc.so.6,
not libc.so.7.

What does 'readelf -sW /lib/libc.so.7 | grep thr_get' show?  Is
firefox linked against libc.so.7 or libc.so.6 on your system?

--
DE