Re: DTRACE build failure (/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpthread)

From: Kip Macy <kmacy_at_fsmware.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 14:33:49 -0700 (PDT)
I described it previously. Signals won't always be sent to the right
process, i.e. running a process under GDB the debuggee will sometimes
get the SIGTRAP instead of GDB. When restarting mysql, mysql-server
becomes unkillable. Removing KSE (bike_sched et al.) makes the problem
go away.

It is trivial to hit on sun4v. However, I've seen it (or a problem with
similar symptoms) on x86 using NetApp's development simulator which
makes very heavy use of signals. I believe NetApp ended up giving up on
using FreeBSD for running their simulator as this problem made FreeBSD a
non-starter for them. I no longer work for NetApp so I don't have access
to the sources for the simulator any more, so I don't know if bike_sched
fixes that problem for them or not.

           -Kip