Re: suggested addition to 'date'

From: Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon_at_orthanc.ca>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 20:16:28 -0700 (PDT)
I would lose the arbitrary restriction on line length by dropping linebuf
and using getchar()/putchar() with a test for \n to determine when to
emit the timestamp.

There's also the restriction on only being able to timestamp one stream.
I can see where it would be useful to be able to timestamp both stdout and
stderr; with 'date -s' you have to combine them.  However adding support
for this argues for a separate program, as that sort of functionality
doesn't belong in date.

--lyndon