Re: suggested addition to 'date'

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:21:07 +0200 (CEST)
Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
 > Sam Leffler wrote:
 > > Julian Elischer wrote:
 > > > At various times I've wanted to add timestamps to logfiles as they are
 > > > generated..
 > > >
 > > > usually this has involved perl or something to do it.
 > [...]
 > Using Perl and ``Time::HiRes qw(gettimeofday)'' is the best trick I've
 > found so far for this sort of thing :-/

In the "good old days" when FreeBSD still hat gnu awk as
/usr/bin/awk, it was pretty trivial to do:

      ls | awk '{print strftime("%+: ") $0}'

Unfortunately, our "shiny new" awk doesn't have strftime()
anymore.  (One of the reasons why I always install gnu awk
from ports and let it override the crippled /usr/bin/awk.)

I don't think it deserves bloating date(1) or even a
completely new tool.  There are tools which can do the
job easily and efficiently (e.g. gnu awk, see above).

Just my 2 cents.

Best regards
   Oliver

"C is quirky, flawed, and an enormous success."
        -- Dennis M. Ritchie.