Re: HEADS-UP: starting to commit linuxolator (SoC 2006) changes...

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:46:25 +0200
Quoting Suleiman Souhlal <ssouhlal_at_FreeBSD.org> (Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:24:35 +0200):

> Hi,
>
> Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the behavior before and after the changes shouldn't differ (as long as
> > no one changes the sysctl compat.linux.osrelease), but you should
> > expect strange behavior when you try to build a kernel while I'm doing
> > the commits...
> >
> > Bye,
> > Alexander.
> >

> Please wait until the changes can be reviewed..

I already started... and I don't want to commit some parts (the linker
stuff which allows to use the module on amd64).

It is also not used by default, as long as we have 2.4.2 for the linux
version, no new functions will be used by glibc. So there is no change
in behavior after the commits. I tested with acroread (which has issues
when run with a 2.6.16 compat.linux.osrelease version, where the new
functions are used by glibc).

So this gives us:
 - coverity reports for the code *before the end of the SoC*
 - no change in behavior in the default case, since the new calls
   aren't used by glibs as long as... see following entry
 - easy testing possibility (sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16,
   defaults to 2.4.2)
 - more eyes on the code

Yes, there are issues with the code, but you will not see them as long
as you don't *explicitly opt-in* to test the new parts.

So I finish the commits now. In case someone has some very strong
reasons for a backout, I do it, but it would be nice if the backout
request (if any) is made after having a look at the default behavior of
the linuxolator after I'm finished with the commits.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
"OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million
for good thinking, yeah? "