Re: HEADS-UP: starting to commit linuxolator (SoC 2006) changes...

From: Astrodog <astrodog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 08:07:51 -0500
On 8/15/06, Suleiman Souhlal <ssouhlal_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>
> > I already started... and I don't want to commit some parts (the linker
> > stuff which allows to use the module on amd64).
> >
> > It is also not used by default, as long as we have 2.4.2 for the linux
> > version, no new functions will be used by glibc. So there is no change
> > in behavior after the commits. I tested with acroread (which has issues
> > when run with a 2.6.16 compat.linux.osrelease version, where the new
> > functions are used by glibc).
> >
> > So this gives us:
> >  - coverity reports for the code *before the end of the SoC*
>
> Why the rush? I'm sure Roman will be around even when the SoC is over.
>
> Also, I'm not asking you to wait a month, just a couple of days until
> more people have had a chance to look at the changes.
>
> It's a bit unreasonable to say "here's a patch, please look at it" and
> commit it less than a day later.
>
> >  - no change in behavior in the default case, since the new calls
> >    aren't used by glibs as long as... see following entry
> >  - easy testing possibility (sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16,
> >    defaults to 2.4.2)
> >  - more eyes on the code
>
> Those are not valid reasons to commit unreviewed and potentially wrong
> changes.
>
> -- Suleiman

Forgive me if I seem to misunderstand things here, but:

We've had ULE in -RELEASE, even when it was known to be broken. The reason
that was acceptable was its "Opt In" nature. (And, thus the problems when it
wasn't opt in). The fact that this can be easily turned off, and on would,
in my opinion, make the issue of it being committed pretty irrelevent.

I see this as fairly important code for Linux compat going forward, so a
quicker release to -CURRENT, when it can be disabled, which allows it to be
cleaned up and prepared for the next -RELEASE seems like a good move.
Compare this to some of the audit and bsm bits that got put in, for example.

I don't believe the patch is the "full version".... I'd have to ask Roman
about it.

Basically, if its wrong, but isn't enabled by default, -CURRENT is as good a
home as any for this sort of thing, in my opinion. It certainly widens the
pool for testing...

--- Harrison Grundy