Re: [fbsd] Re: Where is thr_getscheduler

From: Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie_at_le-hen.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:05:26 +0200
Hi,

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 11:20:50AM +0300, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> Old build of the application linked against libc.so.6 and libthr.so.2.
> References to symbols in libthr.so.2 are satisfied by default
> version of the symbols.
>
> Missing are two things:
>
> 1. libpthread/libthr are still not linked against libc (as well as most
> shared libraries). Correspondingly, version information for referenced
> libc symbols is absent in the shared libraries.

What does exactly prevent from linking shared libraries against libc ?
In this post [1] Warner Losh states that doing so would solve some
problems (probably the one we are talking about, albeit firefox-bin being
linked against libc.so.6 would conflict with libthr.so.2 being linked
against libc.so.7 -- how rtld(1) would handle this ?), but it will
also create so problems.  What are they ?

[1] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2006-April/016143.html

I've added Warner in the Cc: list.

Thank you.
Best regards,