Re: suggested addition to 'date'

From: Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez <rnsanchez_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 21:37:09 -0300
Hello,

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:33:32 -0700, Julian Elischer <julian_at_elischer.org>
wrote:

> I will simply put the unhancement in out own cvs tree, and the
> enhancement will be private.
> I'm still comletely amazed that no-one but me thinks this is a good idea
> as it seems absolutly
> obvious to me  and it doesn't affect date's usual behaviour in the
> slightest.

I think it's useful, even if there are many other ways to do it, including
scripts, ports and other tools that may (or may not) triple the effort to
get something done just because of purist reasons.

My suggestion, if you happen to reconsider about having it only for your
local usage, is to instead use a long option, like "--stamp" or
"--timestamp".  -s collides with GNU date set option, and people sometimes
forget if they're in a BSD or GNU box (I do).

I'd have sent this mail before, but I got shaky as I'm new here and because
of the huge pressure for not committing such addition.

--
Ricardo Nabinger Sanchez     <rnsanchez_at_{gmail.com,wait4.org}>