Re: HEADS-UP: starting to commit linuxolator (SoC 2006) changes...

From: Divacky Roman <xdivac02_at_stud.fit.vutbr.cz>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:15:47 +0200
> IMHO, it is cleaner to explicitly delete it once it becomes non-functional.
> Having dead code lying around just slows down compilation and misleads
> people into thinking that it is functional.  If someone wants to resurrect
> it at a later date, they can always retrieve it from the Attic.

what makes 2.6 and 2.4 incompatible is the way they treat "pid". in 2.4 times
pid is something unique to a process, ie. you cannot have two processes with the
same pid. in 2.6 this changed pid is number processes can share and now tid is
used as "unique identifier of a process".

netchild commited patch which lets this happen and it makes getpid/getppid/exit_group
quite expensive (I have to retrieve osrelease for a given jail and compare the string).