Re: Avoiding bad sectors?

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 12:27:26 +0930
On Sunday 20 August 2006 06:43, Nik Clayton wrote:
> I realise that I need to replace the disk.  However, while I'm waiting
> until I can schedule the downtime, is there a short term solution I can
> use to stop FreeBSD (I'm running current from a couple of months ago)
> from trying to use this block?

Reboot into single user mode so swap is not being used and then try
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/XXX bs=64k

(where XXX is your swapdev)

The disk should remap the sector, if it refuses to write to the sector because
it's out of remappable sectors then you could try splitting your swap into 2
partitions around the dead sector and then using them both (should be no
appreciable speed decrease)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum