a problem setting screen resolution with Xorg-6.9.0

From: <carl_at_UDel.Edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 17:12:44 -0400 (EDT)
Fellow FreeBSDers,

I originally sent this to FreeBSD-X11, but this may be a more appropriate venue.

I have recently installed FreeBSD 6.1 on a Pentium III box, using an NVidia GeForce 2 GTS card and a CTX PL9 monitor.  Running "X -configure" as root generates the file xorg.conf.new, and then running "X -config xorg.conf.new", pulls up a generic X screen with a resolution of 1600x1200.  I go in and modify the xorg.conf.new file to make the default resolution 1280x1024, and rerun "X -config xorg.conf.new", but the resolution is still 1600x1200.  This is a wonderful resolution, but it makes everything rather small, and the icons are difficult to see.  I am obviously setting something wrong, but I do not know what it is.  Might anyone have any suggestions.  I really would rather have the resolution be 1280x1024.  Thanks for your help!

Carl

The following is the file xorg.conf.new:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "xtrap"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        #DisplaySize      360   270     # mm
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "CTX"
        ModelName    "3700"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        HorizSync    30.0 - 95.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
        Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "SWcursor"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "HWcursor"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoAccel"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ShadowFB"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "UseFBDev"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "Rotate"                    # [<str>]
        #Option     "VideoKey"                  # <i>
        #Option     "FlatPanel"                 # [<bool>]
        #Option     "FPDither"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "CrtcNumber"                # <i>
        #Option     "FPScale"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "FPTweak"                   # <i>
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "nv"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName   "NV15 [GeForce2 GTS/Pro]"