Re: Avoiding bad sectors?

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 10:09:36 +0930
On Monday 21 August 2006 09:51, Antony Mawer wrote:
> I brought this up on -stable the other day... see the thread titled "The
> need for initialising disks before use?" (17/08/06).

Knew it was somewhere recent :)

> I've seen numerously "young" disks showing up plenty of read errors
> (which smartctl seems to confirm are coming from the disk, and not
> driver etc related), and would love to see some way to easily "fix" the
> problem... these are all < 6mth old SATA drives...

Ouch.. Time to switch drive maker.

> Unfortunately dd'ing parts of an existing filesystem are a little more
> complicated than when dealing with a swap partition :-(

Yeah, you can do it but it is more complicated.

There was a patch floating around for fsdb which showed what file a particular
block was associated with. I'm not sure if it ever got merged though.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum