Re: Simplified Steps for Building a Loadable module on -CURRENT

From: Stefan Bethke <stb_at_lassitu.de>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 09:20:15 +0200
Am 31.08.2006 um 01:36 schrieb David Christensen:

>> Then what's the panic message, and how exactly are you building your
>> module?
>>

> The message wasn't readable on the serial console.  The text was
> jumbled
> and I could only make out bits and pieces of it.

And the module that got installed in /boot/kernel/<module>.ko does
exhibit the same problem, or not?
> So I should do the following:
>
> 1) Comment out the driver I want to test in the kernel configuration
> file.
>    For example, modify /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/MYCONFIG.
> 2) Rebuild and install the kernel (cd /usr/src; make kernel
> KERNCONF=MYCONFIG)

Which also builds and installs all modules into /boot/kernel (see src/
sys/modulesMakefile for the list of modules that are built).

> 3) Reboot the system to start using the new kernel
> 4) Edit the driver in /usr/src/sys/dev/XXX as necessary
> 5) Build the kernel module (cd /usr/src/sys/modules/XXX; make)
> 6) Load the kernel module (kldload ./if_XXX) and cross my fingers.

No, make that:

6) Enable the kernel debugger, load the module, then show the list
the panic message, backtrace, etc. and tell us which driver you're
talking about and how you modified it.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb_at_lassitu.de>   Fon +49 170 346 0140