Re: HEADS UP: compat6x

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 08:24:20 +0100
Quoting Daniel Eischen <deischen_at_freebsd.org> (from Tue, 5 Dec 2006
18:22:41 -0500 (EST)):

> On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, John Baldwin wrote:

>> Yes, but it doesn't hurt to just bump things now.  I actually agree with
>> John's argument that it is beneficial to allow folks on current to safely
>> use -stable apps by doing the library bump at first breakage.
>> Granted, after
>> 7.0 that policy will be obsolete, but it is still relevant for 7-current. :)
>> Heck, why not just enable symbol versioning in current by default now
>> anyways?
>
> I'm waiting until after the GCC import because that should
> change the way dependencies are recorded in shared libraries,
> which really would force everyone to rebuild everything all
> over again.  After the GCC import, we should bump all the
> libraries and enable symbol versioning, and hopefully you'll
> only have to rebuild things once.

We have several upcomming stuff which ideally should be coordinated
here. The symbol versioning (and the corresponding bump of the version
of some libs) results in the need to rebuild everything, and the
import of X.org 7.x would result in the need to rebuild some ports
(when an user wants to update). I don't know if the import of gcc4
will need a rebuild of everything too.

Could all involved people please speak with each other (or tell us you
did already) and try to coordinate a little bit?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
People are beginning to notice you.
Try dressing before you leave the house.

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild _at_ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID = 72077137