Re: FreeBSD 6 (or 7) on a HP DL140 G3 SATA

From: Ulf Zimmermann <ulf_at_Alameda.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 10:58:02 -0800
On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 11:47:21AM +0000, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Dec 2006, J. Martin Petersen wrote:
> I have two HP DL145 G3's, and I had identical crashes in the loader when
> using the amd64 loader on an older BIOS revision.  Upgrading the BIOS made
> the problem go away.  Upgrading proved to be a bit of a pain because the
> boxes don't have CDROM or floppy drives, and the HP firmware updater
> download is rather weird, but once it was updated (using a USB floppy
> drive) all was happiness.  Oddly, the i386 loader had no problem at all...

Here is how I update the bios on DL140. Create a DOS boot disk (I usual
use 6.22), put a ramdisk driver on it and whatever you need to flash
the bios. Then make an image of the disk and load it into your pxe
server. Boot via PXE said floppy image, copy BIOS flash utils and
firmware to ramdisk. Then run software from there. If you don't use
the ram disk, I have seen it fail often.

--
Regards, Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-865-0204
You can find my resume at: http://seven.Alameda.net/~ulf/resume.html