Re: FreeBSD 6 (or 7) on a HP DL140 G3 SATA

From: Ulf Zimmermann <ulf_at_Alameda.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 12:05:35 -0800
On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 02:53:04PM +0100, J. Martin Petersen wrote:
> Ulf Zimmermann wrote:
> >On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 11:47:21AM +0000, Robert Watson wrote:
> >>Upgrading proved to be a bit of a pain because the
> >>boxes don't have CDROM or floppy drives, and the HP firmware updater
> >>download is rather weird, but once it was updated (using a USB floppy
> >>drive) all was happiness.
> >>Oddly, the i386 loader had no problem at all...
>
> I think we tried both without success, but I am not 100% sure.
>
> >Here is how I update the bios on DL140. Create a DOS boot disk (I usual
> >use 6.22), put a ramdisk driver on it and whatever you need to flash
> >the bios. Then make an image of the disk and load it into your pxe
> >server. Boot via PXE said floppy image, copy BIOS flash utils and
> >firmware to ramdisk. Then run software from there. If you don't use
> >the ram disk, I have seen it fail often.
>
> We created a bootable USB stick with each of the BIOS'es and used that
> to flash with. Very easy and worked like a charm, once we found a
> Windows-"enabled" laptop.
>
> What kind of disk performance are you seeing from the disks hooked up to
> the mpt-controller? We are seeing disk transfers around 6MB/sec, which
> seems very slow, but I do not know how to diagnose it.

We only have some DL140 g1 and one g2. The g2 is running 4.11-REL right
now, it was suppose to be a squid box but so far it is just sitting
idle.

As to upgrading the bios, I went the pxe way, because I did some machines
700 miles that way.

--
Regards, Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-865-0204
You can find my resume at: http://seven.Alameda.net/~ulf/resume.html