Re: Let's use gcc-4.2, not 4.1 -- OpenMP

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:48:20 +0100
Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> середа 13 грудень 2006 16:53, Scott Long написав:
>> And I say that FreeBSD shouldn't be a beta-tester for new, experimental
>> compiler features.
>
> We don't have to start using OpenMP in the base and no port will be _forced_
> to use it either. But having a compiler _capable of it_ will be very good.

I would second that. Having a compiler with features aiming modern
omputer design wouldn't be a disadvantage and many people, like me,
prefere using the systems compiler instead of one out of the ports.

> Unless you deem the entire gcc-4.2 to be "new and experimental" (I think, 4.3
> is such), your above-quoted argument is not valid.

I'm not very familiar with the compiler development, but it seemed to me
  gcc 4.1 was like a interim solution. This arose due to the fast
appeareance of it's successor ...