Re: Socket problems with latest -current

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:00:42 -0800
Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> BTW, I started looking at this because re_at_ needs to decide what to do
> here for 6.2.  If a default (or even "normal") configuration is possible
> to produce the problems you saw, we obviously can't ship this way.

Good news for you, I found the problem. Bad news for me, I'm
apparently an idiot. Well, not quite an idiot, but I have a local
script to set up the wired interface if it's connected, and the
wireless if it's not. Somewhere in there I forgot about configuring
lo0, but it was magically being done for me. With the change that hrs
made to rc.d/auto_linklocal, the magic stopped happening, and in
focusing on the new fe80::1 address I missed the fact that the IPv4
address wasn't there. Why the change caused lo0 to stop being
configured for IPv4 is a new mystery, but that one is more in my area.
Sorry about the false alarm.

> Oh yeah.  Is it possible that the machine has a hostname that only has a
> AAAA record (no A record) in DNS or some other thing like this?  I don't
> expect that you'd do something so "interesting" but I had to ask.

Interesting that you asked that question, it's definitely the right
track, and it's what made me go back and look harder at what I was
doing behind the scenes. Thanks!

Doug