Re: Am I an Idiot?

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 14:22:23 -0800
Astrodog wrote:

> The kind of testing needed in -CURRENT is controlled, in my opinion.

You are, of course, welcome to your opinions. You will, of course,
please make allowances for the facts that,

A) You might be wrong, and
B) Even if you are right within some limited sphere, your knowledge
and experience only extend so far, and others who have different
knowledge and/or experience may not find them useful.

For example, as a FreeBSD developer I am always quite gratified when
people run my -current code in a real world environment, since I find
anecdotes useful. Of course I'd always rather hear, "It works!" but
even if the answer is that it doesn't work, it gives me a direction to
look in that I didn't have before.

So let me summarize. Yes, there are potential problems with running
-current in production. As I said very early in this thread, the
safest way of doing so is to run -current on a limited number of
systems, and have -stable hardware ready to swap in if needed. The OP
says he understands the issues at hand, and is willing to jump into
the deep end of the pool. He seems like a grown-up to me, let's leave
him alone and move on to other things, shall we?

Doug