Re: HEADS UP: Audit integration into CVS in progress, some tree disruption

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 00:51:13 +0000 (GMT)
On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, Kris Kennaway wrote:

>> Personally, i would like to see less "experimental" code in 6.1. Perhaps it
>> would be better to wait until everyone feels the code is ready?
>
> Why do you care if code that is not enabled by default is present in the
> system? :-)

Well, I think there are some potential risks.  The main ones are:

(1) That the unconditionally compiled bits cause problems.  Primarily this is
     the audit support in login, sshd, etc.  Apple has been running with
     basically the same code for a couple of years now, but there is always
     risk in change.

(2) Risk to users who do try the experimental support and run into bugs, or
     run into things that we will change for a 6.2 release as we fix problems.

The first set is happily quite a small set; the second set of potential
problems is something that we'll need to think about and manage carefully.

We're not yet committed to audit3 in RELENG_6_2, in the sense that there's a
long way to go and nothing is in that tree yet.  It would be quite desirable
though, if we can pull it all together.  In a week or so, we'll have a much
better idea of how things look.  Maybe we can get you to run audit on the
ports build cluster. :-)

Robert N M Watson