hwpmc & kernel modules?

From: Andrew Gallatin <gallatin_at_cs.duke.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 13:13:28 -0500 (EST)
I'm currently doing a driver for a 10GbE nic, and now that it works,
I'm disappointed to find that FreeBSD is considerably slower than
Linux & Solaris on the same hardware (8Gb/s vs 5Gb/s).   My driver
is currently a module, and I'm having problems figuring out how
much time my driver is using.

Is there any way to profile kernel modules with hwpmc?  It seems like
the kgmon samples ignore loadable modules entirely.  Is it possible to
do what solaris does for crashdumps, and build an elf file with the
modules linked in at their current locations?  This would be helpful
for post-mortum debugging too..

Thanks,

Drew