Re: patchset-7 release (Re: [unionfs][patch] improvements of the unionfs - Problem Report, kern/91010)

From: Daichi GOTO <daichi_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 13:51:20 +0900
Dario Freni wrote:
> No panics anymore but still got some problems. I have unionfs on /usr
> and cannot access /usr/home/freesbie directly (i.e.: if i login as
> 'freesbie' user right after boot I can't access /usr/home at all,
> getting a permission denied error).
>
> To reproduce, download iso from torrent:
>
> http://torrent.freesbie.org/FreeSBIE-unionfs-i386-20060205.iso.torrent
>
> and log in as freesbie.
>
> Bye and thanks,
> Dario

Yes, yes, yes. It is a good and definitely question. This is
not a implementation problem, it is a semantics issue be discussed
well.

By -p7 implementation, only root can make /usr/home/freesbie/
shadow directory bacause the permission of parent directory of
/usr/home/freesbie/ is root.

   /usr/home/           -- root permission
   /usr/home/freesbie/  -- freesbie permission

     --> So only root can make shadow directory
         of /usr/home/freesbie/.

Yes, yes, you should think that freesbie user could make shadow
directory of /usr/home/freesbie/ bacause the permission of lower
layer is freesbie.

We are thinking that the both ways are correct. In first way,
permissions of upper layer takes precedence over lower layer,
in second way, permissions of lower layer takes precedence over
upper layer.

We are getting a discussing around this long time. In the meantime,
we have made up -p7 with first way. But yes, we are thinking that
the first way is not useful and it may be not good as the goal of
unionfs.

At this moment, we are making -p8 that solves your problem, Dario.
Please wait -p8, I think you get good satisfaction by -p8 :)

--
   Daichi GOTO, http://people.freebsd.org/~daichi