Re: FreeBSD showing version number upon login

From: Andrew R. Reiter <arr_at_watson.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 11:55:54 -0500 (EST)
I don't think that response helps anyone :-)

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Kris Kennaway wrote:

:On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 02:29:25AM -0500, Alex wrote:
:> I just installed a fresh copy of freebsd 6.0. I went on to try to remove the
:> version number that appears before your MOTD and I had no luck. I first
:> tried making a COPYRIGHT file in /etc(with touch COPYRIGHT) and adding
:> update_motd="NO" to rc.conf and rebooted and that did nothing, it still
:> showed up. I even went so far as to comment out the copyright statement in
:> login.conf and rebuilt the DB but it still showed up. I also went to
:> /etc/default/rc.conf and changed the default update_motd="YES" to no and
:> rebooted and still it kept showing up. I am at wits end here..... anyone
:> have any ideas? Am I missing something here?
:
:IMO, the real question is "why are you trying to hide it"..that
:information is available in lots of ways.
:
:Kris
:

--