Re: FreeBSD showing version number upon login

From: alex <theawel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 17:01:03 -0500
On Feb 9, 2006, at 3:04 PM, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 02:54:57PM -0500 I heard the voice of
> alex, and lo! it spake thus:
>>
>> The .hushlogin file does remove the Copyright msg but it also
>> removes  the MOTD, Im just surprised there is not a well known easy
>> way to remove the version info and  leave the MOTD.
>
> There is.  Take them OUT of the MOTD (so they don't show up), and turn
> off update_motd in rc.conf (so they don't get put back).
>

> --
> Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd_at_over-yonder.net
> Systems/Network Administrator |  http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/
>            On the Internet, nobody can hear you scream.

Oh man now I realized what I did, I had originally edited MOTD to
only show what I wanted, but I logged back in once before I set
update_motd to "NO" therefore it changed the motd to include the
copyright info. Since I remembered editing it I never went back to
check to see if it was modified after I edited. With Mathew's
suggestion I checked the MOTD and low and behold the version info was
there, I removed it and it is not coming back because this time i
have the update_motd already set to "NO", funny how computers don't
know what your thinking :)

--Alex