Re: [jakub_at_redhat.com:Linking against libpthread via -pthread?

From: Dan Nelson <dnelson_at_allantgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:39:08 -0600
In the last episode (Feb 10), Steve Kargl said:
> Some background information:  I routinely build GCC mainline on
> i386-*-freebsd and amd64-*-freebsd.  GCC mainline is introducing
> OpenMP support.  When libgomp.so.1 is built, the compiler is given
> the -pthread option throughout the construction of libgomp.so.1.
> However, a "ldd libgomp.so.1" shows no dependence on libpthread.so.2

There was a discussion about this back when the default switched from
libc_r to libpthread, and I think the consensus was that shared
libraries should never record dependencies against threads libs, which
means you have to add -pthread to the link line when building the final
executable.  This avoids problems where an executable links to three
shlibs, one library is linked to libc_r, one's linked to libkse, and a
third is linked to libpthread.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson_at_allantgroup.com