Portsnap support on CURRENT

From: Paul Mather <paul_at_gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:43:33 -0500
I've noticed lately a lot of "succeeds port" messages when I run
portversion (from the portupgrade port) to list which of my packages are
out of date and require updating.  These messages are incorrect (i.e.,
the "port has" version identified by portversion is older than that in
the actual port Makefile), and I don't get incorrect identifications
from either pkg_version or portmanager.  (I also don't get this problem
on a RELENG_6 system I have, either.)

After a little looking, I discovered that my /usr/ports/INDEX-7 file is
not being updated.  Investigation of the portsnap source reveals that it
only actually generates INDEX, INDEX-5, and INDEX-6 from portsnap
updates in extract_indices(); it doesn't generate INDEX-7.

So, is /usr/sbin/portsnap currently supported on CURRENT?  It appears to
keep /usr/ports up to date, just not the index file.  For now, I've
switched to using sysutils/portmanager from ports for upgrading ports,
but I'm not entirely happy with that for a variety of reasons.  Plus,
some /usr/ports/UPDATING instructions advocate using portupgrade
explicitly, so it would be nice to have portupgrade working fully. :-)

This is the version of portsnap I'm using:

$FreeBSD: src/usr.sbin/portsnap/portsnap/portsnap.sh,v 1.14 2006/01/22
23:48:0
7 cperciva Exp $

My version of CURRENT is FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Thu Feb  9 10:59:56 EST
2006.

Cheers,

Paul.
--