Re: Portsnap support on CURRENT

From: Colin Percival <cperciva_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:57:33 -0800
On Friday 10 February 2006 01:43 pm, Paul Mather wrote:
> After a little looking, I discovered that my /usr/ports/INDEX-7 file is
> not being updated.  Investigation of the portsnap source reveals that
> it only actually generates INDEX, INDEX-5, and INDEX-6 from portsnap
> updates in extract_indices(); it doesn't generate INDEX-7.

This is a combination of poor planning on my behalf (I shouldn't have
hard-coded the list of INDEX files) and a decision not to do anything
about this yet.  There is currently a lag time of roughly 1 - 2 hours
between a commit to the ports tree and that change being reflected in
the latest portsnap snapshot; about 80% of this time is from building
the three INDEX files.  When I looked into adding INDEX-7 to the list
of files to build, it turned out to be identical to INDEX-6 (so far);
so having the portsnap buildbox build it would slowed down the builds
without really gaining anything.  (In addition, FreeBSD 7.x users are
a very small fraction of the portsnap users.)

Once there is a significant difference between INDEX-6 and INDEX-7, I
will start building and distributing INDEX-7 files via portsnap.  For
now, Kris' advice is good

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> setenv INDEXFILE INDEX-6

although personally I'd create a symlink instead:
# ln -s /usr/ports/INDEX-6 /usr/ports/INDEX-7

Colin Percival